Friday, August 3, 2012

Mustard Beans

My grandma used to make mustard beans that I could eat by the jarful! I just could not get enough of them! Well, I got her recipe a few years ago, but the whole canning process scared me. This year, I decided that I just HAD to have some! My amazing mother in law dropped off loads of yellow beans for me, and I got to work! I made 2 batches, and ended up with 17 delicious looking yellow jars!!


8 cups yellow beans
3 cups vinegar
1 cup water
1 TBSP celery seed
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 cup dry mustard
3/4 cup flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp salt

Cook beans in boiled salted water until just tender & drain. Mix water, 1 cup vinegar & celery seed & let sit. Mix tumeric, mustard, flour, sugar & salt until combined. Bring water/vinegar & remaining vinegar to a boil. Slowly add a small amount of hot vinegar to dry ingredients. Blend well (no lumps!), then add paste to pot and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add beans & bring to a boil. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

No comments: