Thursday, January 12, 2012

Easy Peasy Turkey Stock!

I hate turkey carcasses. It makes me squirm. But I always feel sad when I throw the carcass out, thinking of all the homemade turkey stock I could have. I just could not hack the thought of well, hacking up the carcass! Until Pinterest! Oh Pinterest how I love thee (you may notice a theme on my blogs, LOL). Pinterest gave me this fabulous idea for my favorite kitchen tool, the slow cooker! AND, even better? Minimal work. OVERNIGHT. Who knew you could make super delicious turkey stock while you slept away your turkey meal! Here`s how I did it!

Overnight Turkey Stock
1 turkey carcass (will work with chicken as well!)
1 carrot
1 stalk of celery
1 onion, cut in half
2 bay leaves
1 TBSP poultry seasoning
12 cups water

Throw everything into your slow cooker. Put on low for 8-10 hours. Go to bed. DONE! How awesome is that?!?!

Well, okay, I lied. You have a little bit of work to do. Strain the turkey stock from the carcass/veggies. Your stock is done! Put into containers & label, then freeze. Orrrr....whip up a batch of turkey noodle soup (and THEN freeze the leftover stock). If you make turkey soup right away, pick apart your carcass for meaty morsels. Mmmm, nothing like turkey soup with turkey buns, the day after a giant turkey dinner!!

No comments: